Vt. solar array is up in PownalFebruary 09,2013Solar array up at
former race track
POWNAL — A solar array is up and running at the site of a former Vermont race track.
The array is at what’s now known as the Southern Vermont Energy Park in Pownal. It used to the Green Mountain Race Track, which shut down in 1992.
The 144-acre site was bought in 2006 for $1 million by Progress Partners. The solar facility is owned by Gestamp Renewables.
The Bennington Banner reports the project is enrolled in the state’s Sustainably Priced Energy Enterprise Development (SPEED) program, which offers above-market rates to renewable energy projects. The array is capable of producing up to 2.2 megawatts of power at maximum.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?