Mary E. HallFebruary 09,2013
Mary E. HallMary E. Hall
Mary Elizabeth Hall, age 83, died Thursday, February 7, 2013, at Rutland Regional Medical Center.
Mrs. Hall was born in Manhattan, Borough of NYC, on May 14, 1929. She was the daughter of Charles and Anne (McCaffrey) Duffy. She grew up in the Bronx where she received her early education and had attended Cathedral High School.
In her earlier years, she had worked for Ma Bell in the Bronx.
On January 6, 1951, she married George W. “Junior” Hall in the Bronx. She and her husband made their home in Rutland until moving to Lake Wales, FL, in 1976. They returned to Rutland in 1984. Mr. Hall predeceased her on May 31, 1988.
She was a member of the Rutland American Legion Unit #31 Ladies Auxiliary, and past member of The Neshobe Sportsman Club in Brandon.
She enjoyed bingo, going shopping, and loved spending time with her family.
She had attended Christ the King Catholic Church.
Surviving are four daughters: Susan M. Parker and husband Rod of Lake Wales, FL, Sheila A. Garrapy and husband Rodney of West Rutland, Barbara J. Metzler and husband Stewart, and Donna M. Chipman and husband Jimmy, all of Bradenton, FL; two sisters: Anne Ramppen of Newburgh, N.Y., and Barbara Lewandowsky of Pine Bush, N.Y.; and a brother, Patrick Duffy of Estero, FL; seven grandchildren, 11 great-grandchildren, one great-great-grandson, and many nieces, nephews and cousins.
Her very special niece, Sandy Brutkoski of Brandon, and best friend, Mary Loomis of Rutland, also survive her.
She was predeceased by two brothers, Charles Duffy and Eugene Duffy.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated on Tuesday, February 12, 2013, at 11 a.m., at St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Brandon. Following the Mass, the family will receive friends in the church parish hall, for a time of fellowship and remembrance.
A private graveside committal service and burial will take place at a later date in Forestdale Cemetery.
Friends may call at the Miller & Ketcham Funeral Home in Brandon on Monday, February 11, from 4 to 7 p.m.
Memorial gifts, in lieu of flowers, may be made in her memory to: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, 262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: A brief midsummer return of last winter’s stubborn cold air mass descends over the Northern Plains, Midwest and Northeast this week bringing colder than seasonable daytime temperatures.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Founding father and 2nd president John Adams signs Sedition Act on this day in 1798 providing jail time for criticizing the government; Benjamin Franklin's grandson and namesake dies in jail, for satirizing the president.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.