Vermont 63, UNH 48
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BURLINGTON — Luke Apfeld scored 16 points and Vermont jumped on New Hampshire early en route to a 63-48 win over the Wildcats Wednesday night in an America East game.
The Catamounts (15-7, 8-2), last year’s A-East champions, stormed to a 34-16 halftime lead over New Hampshire (7-15, 2-7) and coasted home. This was much easier than Vermont’s 64-51 win at New Hampshire on Jan. 2.
Apfeld, whose 16 points included two 3-pointers, helped the Catamounts build a 27-8 lead. He got help from Clancy Rugg, who also hit two treys, and Ethan O’Day. They scored 13 and 10 points, respectively. Bryan Voelkel grabbed 14 rebounds.
The Wildcats hurt themselves from 3-point range. They made just 3 of 14 treys, all three from Scott Morris in five attempts. Vermont was 7 of 22 from long range.
Patrick Konan led New Hampshire with 15 points, shooting 7 for 15 from the field.MORE IN Wire Sports
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.