Vermont 63, UNH 48
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BURLINGTON — Luke Apfeld scored 16 points and Vermont jumped on New Hampshire early en route to a 63-48 win over the Wildcats Wednesday night in an America East game.
The Catamounts (15-7, 8-2), last year’s A-East champions, stormed to a 34-16 halftime lead over New Hampshire (7-15, 2-7) and coasted home. This was much easier than Vermont’s 64-51 win at New Hampshire on Jan. 2.
Apfeld, whose 16 points included two 3-pointers, helped the Catamounts build a 27-8 lead. He got help from Clancy Rugg, who also hit two treys, and Ethan O’Day. They scored 13 and 10 points, respectively. Bryan Voelkel grabbed 14 rebounds.
The Wildcats hurt themselves from 3-point range. They made just 3 of 14 treys, all three from Scott Morris in five attempts. Vermont was 7 of 22 from long range.
Patrick Konan led New Hampshire with 15 points, shooting 7 for 15 from the field.MORE IN Wire SportsJ.J. Watt tears it up on defense. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.