$340 million worth
of cocaine seized
MADRID — Spanish police have seized 4.5 tons of cocaine with an estimated street value of $340 million — the biggest confiscation of the drug arriving to the nation since 2001.
The Civil Guard said Wednesday the drugs were at a warehouse in the eastern city of Elche. Three Spaniards running a front company from the location were arrested.
The company imported leather from Colombia, and Civil Guard said cocaine was inside six shipping containers of leather that arrived Feb. 1.
The drugs were destined for distribution in Spain and Europe. Police raided 16 places linked to those arrested, seizing weapons that were not described and six luxury vehicles.MORE IN Wire NewsGAZA CITY, Gaza Strip — Rival Palestinian factions Hamas and Fatah agreed Wednesday to form a... Full StoryYARMOUTH, Maine — The number of baby lobsters settling off the rocky coast of Maine continues to... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.