George BaileyFebruary 04,2013
George BaileyGeorge Bailey
WALLINGFORD — George Bailey, 93, passed away at Rutland Regional Medical Center on February 2, 2013.
George was born in Boston, Mass., on December 19, 1919. He was the son of Hugo George Bailey and Phoebe Jane (Smith) Bailey. He married Sarah Louise “Sally” Collins on April 20, 1946, in Charlestown, N.H., and later settled in Wallingford, Vt., with Sally and their three children, Ruth, Rose and Hugo.
George was an Army veteran, achieving the rank of Sergeant in the Coast Artillery in World War II. Following active service, he was employed for many years at True Temper and General Electric Co. in Rutland.
Survivors include a sister, Ruth Bailey Miner; a daughter, Ruth Bailey Corey, and a son, Hugo George Bailey; grandchildren, Trisha Nash, Shawna Evans, Charles Shum, Joseph Shum, Randy Bailey and Robert Bailey; great-grandchildren, Cassandra Smith, Aleea Dauphinais, Emma Evans, Ben Evans, William Evans, Adam Shum, Shannon Shum, Rose Shum, Kellen Bailey and Cole Bailey; nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by his wife, Sally, daughter Rose Bailey and brother Bill Bailey.
George enjoyed horseshoes, bowling, gardening, jigsaw puzzles and most of all, time with his grandchildren. He will be remembered for his endearing vocal presence, witty jokes and daily walks downtown.
A memorial service will be Saturday, February 9, at 11 a.m. at the First Congregational Church of Wallingford.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the American Legion Post 52, c/o Don Emery, 294 South Main St., Wallingford, VT 05773; or Susan G. Komen, PO Box 650309, Dallas, TX 75265-0309.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?