• Hope and fear mix as hostage situation drags on
    The New York Times | February 03,2013
    • Email Article
    •  Print Article
    AP Photo

    Alabama State Trooper Kevin Cook, center right, is surrounded by the media at a news conference Saturday in Midland City, Ala. Authorities said they still have a line of communication with an Alabama man accused of abducting a 5-year-old child and holding him hostage in a bunker since Tuesday.
    MIDLAND CITY, Ala. — The vigils continued in and around this southeastern Alabama town on Saturday. They were held in private homes, at the gazebo next to City Hall and, perhaps most somberly, on the grassy hill where swarms of federal agents are watching the underground bunker where they say a man named Jimmy Lee Dykes has held a 5-year-old boy hostage for more than four days now.

    Law enforcement officials are still saying little about attempts to rescue the boy, who was kidnapped Tuesday when Dykes raided a school bus and killed the driver. Officials have been in constant communication with Dykes through a plastic pipe that he originally installed, a neighbor said, to eavesdrop on trespassers from within the bunker.

    The bunker has food and electricity, and Dale County Sheriff Wally Olson said in a news conference Saturday that it also had blankets and an electric heater to get through the near-freezing temperatures at night. He added that toys, coloring books and medication had been passed into the bunker for the boy, who has Asperger’s syndrome and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.

    He did not say if it is known whether the boy has been taking the medicine.

    “It’s one thing when you’ve got your mother and grandmother giving it to you every day,” said state Rep. Steve Clouse, whose district includes Midland City.

    Perhaps suggesting that Dykes is following events from his bunker, Olson concluded the short news conference by offering gratitude to Dykes for allowing officials to pass on such necessities.

    “I want to thank him for taking care of our child,” the sheriff said. “It’s very important.”

    The Daily Mail of London reported on Saturday that Dykes had initially requested to local authorities that he deliver his grievances to a reporter in exchange for handing over the boy. Two people familiar with the early days of the operation corroborated The Daily Mail’s account, one adding that Dykes had a particular reporter in mind.

    Dykes, who has lived in a travel trailer here for about two years, has a troubled past, including arrests on charges connected to drugs, drunken driving and, in Florida in 1995, unlawful display of a firearm. On Wednesday he was due in court in this county, accused of shooting at a neighbor in a dispute over driving on his property.

    But the most telling indications of his troubles may lie outside the official record.

    At midnight, when people would come home from late shifts, Dykes would be digging with a shovel in the red clay behind his trailer. Or he would be on patrol, walking the perimeter of his compound with a flashlight and a long gun.

    Before building the bunker, Dykes made long, snaking mounds out of dirt and odd structures out of cinderblocks. He built the bunker in about three months, said a neighbor, Michael Creel, 28, who described it as 4 to 5 feet wide by 6 feet long, made of plywood and lined with plastic insulation and sandbags.

    Creel said he was admiring Dykes’ okra bed one day when Dykes invited him to see the bunker.

    “It kind of threw me off the first time I climbed down in there,” he said. “He said, ‘Climb down in there and holler, see if we can hear you.’ That was a little bit of a red flag.”

    Creel said he believed that Dykes had several handguns, including an antique Colt .45, as well as a rifle and a shotgun. Other neighbors said they had heard Dykes firing what sounded like a semiautomatic weapon in the field behind his property.

    Creel’s father, Greg, said he had been subpoenaed to appear in the case involving the dispute with the neighbor. He said Dykes had given him a handwritten letter several pages long, presumably in connection with the trial.

    Creel, 65, said he did not want to read the letter and had handed it over to law enforcement. “I am sure it gives insight to this man’s crazed mentality,” he said.

    Meanwhile, people in town continue to gather each night at a gazebo on the grounds of City Hall, where they hold candles in salt-filled plastic cups. Friday night’s vigil began with announcements: a reminder to eat at the local Ruby Tuesday, which was making donations to the family.

    A mother of one of the boy’s classmates spoke. There were prayers, for the family of the bus driver, Charles Albert Poland Jr., 66; for the boy and his family; even for Dykes.

    They closed, as usual, with a chorus of “Amazing Grace,” and then resumed the long wait.
    • Email Article
    •  Print Article
    MORE IN This Just In
    SPRINGFIELD — Downtown Springfield has a little-appreciated “wow factor. Full Story

    Staff Report

    SPRINGFIELD — A Craftsbury Common woman is charged with mailing... Full Story
    WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A judge cast doubt Wednesday on the most serious charge facing a carpenter... Full Story
    More Articles