Good deed is punishedFebruary 02,2013Staff Report
LONDONDERRY — A good Samaritan, who stopped to give someone a ride Wednesday night in Londonderry, had her car stolen by the hitchhiker.
Vermont State Police said that Stacey Bonang, 45, of Weston, picked up a woman hitchhiker on Route 11, near the Mill Restaurant in Londonderry. Bonang gave the woman a ride to the Londonderry Plaza, and Bonang left the woman alone in her vehicle when the woman requested to make a private phone call.
“At this point, the female locked the doors and drove off,” the police report stated. Bonang’s vehicle, a maroon 2012 Subaru Forester with Vermont registration FSH112, was later found Thursday morning crashed into a tree on Route 100 in Weston, near Piper Hill Road.
Bonang reported her car stolen at 8:40 p.m.
The hitchhiker was described as 5 foot, 5 inches tall, with a slender build, wearing a black jacket and dark hair tucked up into a hat. The woman was wearing jeans and boots, with the jeans tucked into the boots. The hitchhiker was wearing glasses.
Anyone with information about the unknown woman is asked to call the Vermont State Police, Rockingham barracks, at (802)-875-2112.
Police reminded motorists that picking up hitchhikers, although a kind gesture, can be a dangerous activity. Police recommended that people not pick up hitchhikers, or if they do, use extreme caution.MORE IN This Just InSki area operators in Vermont and across northern New England were giddy Wednesday at the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.