Man charged with prescription fraudsJanuary 31,2013A Pennsylvania man who police say was “shopping” for doctors who would prescribe him with pain medication denied five felony charges Monday.
John D. Harper, 41, of Leesport, Penn., pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to five counts of prescription fraud. He was released on court-ordered conditions.
Vermont State Police Detective T.L. Hodsden wrote in a court affidavit that Harper obtained prescriptions for opiate-based pain medications from a dozen doctors and dentists in the Rutland, Ludlow, Bennington and Keene, N.H. areas last year.
Harper allegedly filled those prescriptions at eight different pharmacies spread across Rutland and Bennington counties.
In Rutland County alone, Hodsden said Harper filled 17 prescriptions for pain medications between April and June of last year.
If convicted of all charges, Harper faces a maximum sentence of 10 years in jail.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.