Winter roads cause crashesStaff Report | January 30,2013Sloppy roads in Rutland County contributed to a pair of crashes — one of which injured an 82-year-old man Monday , according to Vermont State Police.
The first crash occurred just before 7 a.m. on Walker Mountain Road in Clarendon where a 2008 GMC Sierra truck driven by 53-year-old Mark Chapin rolled off the road after striking a patch of black ice. Chapin, who was wearing his seat belt, was uninjured in the crash, police said.
At just after 2 p.m. in Rutland Town, a 2003 Toyota Tacoma driven by Richard Hier, 82, went off the road on Route 4 in Rutland Town and struck a tree. Police say Hier lost control of his vehicle on the snow and slush covered road.
Hier, who was not wearing his seatbelt, was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center for pain in his stomach and back.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER — Vermont Health Department says eight children from the Charlotte Central... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1835, deranged house painter attempts to kill Pres. Andrew Jackson; in 1969, Beatles play last live public performance on roof of Apple Corps building, London; in 1935, poet Richard Brautigan born in Tacoma, Washington.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Maple syrup standards revised to match international standards; city must decide how best to use $300K in leftover sewer project money; Bryanna Allen reports on funding proposal for solar projects; local agency gets HUD money.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1393, quick thinking teen girl saves King Charles IV of France from burning alive at masquerade ball; in 1760, Vermont town of Pownal created by N.H. Gov. Benning Wentworth; Canuplin, Filipino movie star, born.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day, 1700, Cascadia Earthquake, Magnitude 9 plus, strikes West Coast with tsunami effects felt as far away as Japan; in 1885, troops loyal to Sudanese Mohammad Ahmad conquer Khartoum; in 1992, Boris Yeltsin untargets U.S.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 971 AD, Southern Han war elephant corps defeated by Song Dynasty troops bowmen; in 1870, Montana, Marias massacre, U.S. kills 173 Native Americans; in 1941, Charles Lindbergh recommends neutrality pact with Nazis.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bryanna Allen reports Castleton Downtown hosts open house, fire in Springfield leaves family without a roof of their own, suspected Bosnian war criminal trial goes to jury, Brent Curtis reports Rutland Town budget set to rise.