Winter roads cause crashesStaff Report | January 30,2013Sloppy roads in Rutland County contributed to a pair of crashes — one of which injured an 82-year-old man Monday , according to Vermont State Police.
The first crash occurred just before 7 a.m. on Walker Mountain Road in Clarendon where a 2008 GMC Sierra truck driven by 53-year-old Mark Chapin rolled off the road after striking a patch of black ice. Chapin, who was wearing his seat belt, was uninjured in the crash, police said.
At just after 2 p.m. in Rutland Town, a 2003 Toyota Tacoma driven by Richard Hier, 82, went off the road on Route 4 in Rutland Town and struck a tree. Police say Hier lost control of his vehicle on the snow and slush covered road.
Hier, who was not wearing his seatbelt, was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center for pain in his stomach and back.MORE IN This Just InBy Erin Mansfield Full StoryThe Associated Press Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.