Winter roads cause crashesStaff Report | January 30,2013Sloppy roads in Rutland County contributed to a pair of crashes — one of which injured an 82-year-old man Monday , according to Vermont State Police.
The first crash occurred just before 7 a.m. on Walker Mountain Road in Clarendon where a 2008 GMC Sierra truck driven by 53-year-old Mark Chapin rolled off the road after striking a patch of black ice. Chapin, who was wearing his seat belt, was uninjured in the crash, police said.
At just after 2 p.m. in Rutland Town, a 2003 Toyota Tacoma driven by Richard Hier, 82, went off the road on Route 4 in Rutland Town and struck a tree. Police say Hier lost control of his vehicle on the snow and slush covered road.
Hier, who was not wearing his seatbelt, was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center for pain in his stomach and back.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.