Despina N. LourasJanuary 29,2013Despina N. Louras
Despina N. Louras, 91, of Rutland, died Sunday, Jan. 27, 2013, at Mountain View Center.
She was born in Rutland Oct. 31, 1921, the daughter of Nicholas and Amalia (Alexandrides) Louras.
Ms. Louras was owner of Brandon Cash Market from 1955 to 1991 and was employed at Initial Ideas from 1991 until retiring in 2007.
Survivors include her son, Peter Louras; a granddaughter; four siblings, Antoinette Candello, Marie Frisch, Gus and Nicholas Louras; nieces and nephews.
She was predeceased by three sisters, Maria Louras, Kuriakoula Carigan, Georgia Bartlett, and a brother, Peter Louras.
There are no calling hours.
A private funeral and burial will be held at a later date.
Memorial contributions may be made to St. Nicholas Orthodox Church, PO Box 939, Rutland, VT 05702.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Clifford Funeral Home in Rutland.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.