BARRE — Barre Police say two men are facing charges of breaking into a delivery truck and stealing cartons of cigarettes.
A security guard at Capital Candy reported seeing two men trying to break into a truck at 2 a.m. Monday.
When police arrived, they said they spotted two men behind the trucks with one holding a box. The man then dropped the box and two ran.
Barre police said they arrested one of the men. The other one later turned himself in.
Authorities said 22-year-old Ricky Dailey and 21-year-old Joshua Herring have been cited into court on charges of grand larceny.
Police said they found bolt cutters at the scene and Dailey had the cut lock. The box contained 30 cartons of cigarettes worth about $1,900.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.