BARRE — Barre Police say two men are facing charges of breaking into a delivery truck and stealing cartons of cigarettes.
A security guard at Capital Candy reported seeing two men trying to break into a truck at 2 a.m. Monday.
When police arrived, they said they spotted two men behind the trucks with one holding a box. The man then dropped the box and two ran.
Barre police said they arrested one of the men. The other one later turned himself in.
Authorities said 22-year-old Ricky Dailey and 21-year-old Joshua Herring have been cited into court on charges of grand larceny.
Police said they found bolt cutters at the scene and Dailey had the cut lock. The box contained 30 cartons of cigarettes worth about $1,900.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,