Town considers closing middle schoolJanuary 25,2013Guilford considers closing middle school
GUILFORD — The Vermont town of Guilford is considering closing its middle school.
If that happens, seventh- and eighth-graders would attend Brattleboro Area Middle School.
The Brattleboro Reformer reports board members are expected to choose between those budgets at a special session scheduled for Sunday afternoon. But a final decision will made by voters at Town Meeting in March.
Supporters of sending the children to Brattleboro say they would have additional education and extracurricular opportunities. They also cite Guilford’s declining enrollment.
But middle-school supporters have argued that Guilford’s small school supports the local instruction.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,