Goodell: Don’t sweat weather for 2014 Super BowlBy JENNIFER PELTZ
The Associated Press | January 25,2013NEW YORK — Super Cold?
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says league officials aren’t just bracing for potential wintry weather at next year’s Super Bowl. They’re embracing it.
Bone-chilling cold is now blanketing the area where the 2014 game will be held. Goodell said in Manhattan on Thursday that football is made to be played in the elements. He says the league will celebrate both the game and the weather.
Goodell spoke as he and Mayor Michael Bloomberg previewed a week of New York City events leading up to the Feb. 2, 2014 game at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J.
It will be the first Super Bowl in the New York metropolitan area.
New York’s piece of the spectacle will include closing part of Broadway for a football fan festival.MORE IN Wire Sports
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.