Roy A. HowkJanuary 24,2013Roy A. Howk
POULTNEY — Roy A. Howk, 64, died Jan. 21, 2013, at his residence.
He was born Aug. 31, 1948, in Rutland, the son of Edward and Katherine (Greene) Howk.
He was a graduate of Poultney High School and enlisted in the U.S. Army serving in the Vietnam era.
Mr. Howk was a short-order cook and bartender for many years, having worked at Perry’s Restaurant, The Hampton House, Sbardella’s, Poultney American Legion and Trak-In Steak House.
He was a member of Poultney American Legion Post #39 and Fair Haven Eagles Club.
He enjoyed making arts and crafts.
Survivors include two brothers, Gary Howk of Fair Haven and Reginald Howk of Florida, and several nieces, nephews and cousins.
Services will be private.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Roberts-Aubin Funeral Home.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.