Search warrant executed at local auto dealershipJanuary 23,2013Search warrant executed at dealership
BENNINGTON — A search warrant was executed recently at Bennington Subaru and the private home of the business’ owner, Thomas Lyons; but lawyers involved in the case have filed motions to prevent the release of any information about the case and what law-enforcement officers were seeking.
A motion filed Tuesday by Bennington County Chief Deputy State’s Attorney Christina Rainville asks that the two warrants be sealed at least temporarily. Rainville said there was a third warrant involved in the case which has not been served on a woman she did not name.
“The state is concerned that releasing the two executed warrants to the press will potentially enable the third person to destroy evidence before the police locate her,” she said.
David Silver, a Bennington attorney who represents Lyons, pointed out that the state has made no determination as to whether a crime has been committed. Silver said Erica Marthage, the state’s attorney for Bennington County, had told his client that there was also no determination whether or not criminal charges would be filed.
Silver called the release of the warrants and the returns on the warrants, which would describe what was found during the search, a “threat to the privacy of Mr. Lyons.”
On Tuesday afternoon, Silver declined to comment further on the motions.
The motions do not detail when the search warrants were executed.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.