Search warrant executed at local auto dealershipJanuary 23,2013Search warrant executed at dealership
BENNINGTON — A search warrant was executed recently at Bennington Subaru and the private home of the business’ owner, Thomas Lyons; but lawyers involved in the case have filed motions to prevent the release of any information about the case and what law-enforcement officers were seeking.
A motion filed Tuesday by Bennington County Chief Deputy State’s Attorney Christina Rainville asks that the two warrants be sealed at least temporarily. Rainville said there was a third warrant involved in the case which has not been served on a woman she did not name.
“The state is concerned that releasing the two executed warrants to the press will potentially enable the third person to destroy evidence before the police locate her,” she said.
David Silver, a Bennington attorney who represents Lyons, pointed out that the state has made no determination as to whether a crime has been committed. Silver said Erica Marthage, the state’s attorney for Bennington County, had told his client that there was also no determination whether or not criminal charges would be filed.
Silver called the release of the warrants and the returns on the warrants, which would describe what was found during the search, a “threat to the privacy of Mr. Lyons.”
On Tuesday afternoon, Silver declined to comment further on the motions.
The motions do not detail when the search warrants were executed.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER — The state Public Service Board has ordered Vermont Gas Systems to stop digging... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.