Police say man holds up methadone clinicThe Associated Press | January 23,2013NEWPORT — Newport police say a man with a handgun tried to rob a northern Vermont methadone clinic, prompting officials to lock down two local schools and the hospital.
Police say the robbery at the BAART methadone clinic on Union Street was reported just before 11 a.m. Wednesday.
The suspect was displayed a handgun during the incident and demanded methadone. The suspect fled without obtaining any drugs.
The man was tracked by a police dog and local, state and federal agents, but searchers lost the trail a short distance from the clinic.
The robbery prompted police to lock down the Newport City Elementary School, North Country Union High School and the North Country Hospital.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.