Police say man holds up methadone clinicThe Associated Press | January 23,2013NEWPORT — Newport police say a man with a handgun tried to rob a northern Vermont methadone clinic, prompting officials to lock down two local schools and the hospital.
Police say the robbery at the BAART methadone clinic on Union Street was reported just before 11 a.m. Wednesday.
The suspect was displayed a handgun during the incident and demanded methadone. The suspect fled without obtaining any drugs.
The man was tracked by a police dog and local, state and federal agents, but searchers lost the trail a short distance from the clinic.
The robbery prompted police to lock down the Newport City Elementary School, North Country Union High School and the North Country Hospital.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.