The 2012 Vermonter of the Year award should go to J. Fred Muggs, that brilliant and socially conscience individual who has contributed so much to our state and country. J. Fred has spoken with all of our illustrious Vermont legislators and given them a fresh agenda and organized their calenders.
They love J. Fred in Montpeculiar! Who organized the Tea Party movement in the Republican House of Representatives, who thought of the wonderful “drug sweep,” in Bennington, who planned and pulled off the Occupy Wall Street protests, who gives Rush Limbaugh all of his ideas on how much he hates Democrats, who talked Hillary Rodham Clinton into becoming secretary of state and last but not least, who starred with Tarzan in his movies? J. Fred Muggs, that’s who!
J. Fred Muggs for Vermonter of the Year!
ShaftsburyMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.