Pittsburgh teenagers latest lost skiersJanuary 21,2013Three girls found
after leaving trail
KILLINGTON — A group of three teenage skiers from the Pittsburgh, Pa., area, were the latest group of skiers who had to be rescued after they deliberately skied out of bounds Sunday afternoon, police said.
Vermont State Police said the skiers, all 17-year-old girls, were at Killington with a school group and skied out of bounds at 1:16 p.m. Sunday from the Juggernaut Trail. The girls later called 911, and their location was determined through GPS, police said.
The Killington Ski Patrol entered the woods and were able to locate the teenagers and get them out unharmed. State police and E-911 were also involved in the rescue.
Police said temperatures Sunday ranged from 45 to zero degrees, with winds gusting to 50 miles an hour. Police said the girls were not prepared for a night in the woods.
Killington has been plagued with dozens of out-of-bounds skiers this winter, requiring numerous rescues, and prompting a review by state police.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.