Bennington Select Board budget meeting todayJanuary 19,2013BENNINGTON ó The Bennington Select Board will meet this morning at 8 in whatís expected to be the final of three meetings to prepare the budget that will be put before voters at town meeting in March.
The meeting will be in the conference room at the Bennington town offices. While the board is meeting at an unusual time and place, the meeting is open to the public.
At the meeting, the Select Board is scheduled to meet with representatives of the Bennington Free Library and the John G. McCullough Free Library in North Bennington. Both libraries receive money from the town every year. Unlike other agencies, the librariesí appropriations are in the municipal budget and not individually approved by voters.
The Select Board hosted similar meetings on Jan. 5 and 12. While itís possible the Select Board members could decide they need another meeting, Town Manager Stuart Hurd said Friday he expects todayís meeting to be the last special meeting before the budget is finalized.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1520, Ferdinand Magellan is first European to navigate passage that bears his name from the Atlantic to the Pacific sea; in 1582, Will Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway secure their marriage license with 40 pound bond.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.