Police: Woman charged in knife assaultJanuary 18,2013MANCHESTER — A Virgil Road woman was charged with a felony count of domestic assault on Thursday after police said she had charged another woman with a knife during an argument Tuesday even though a 2-year-old child was between her and the other woman.
Annette Crooks, 38, of Manchester, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court Thursday to a felony charge of first-degree aggravated domestic assault and a misdemeanor charge of reckless endangerment.
In an affidavit, Cpl. James Blanchard of the Manchester Police Department said he had been called to a Virgil Road home on Tuesday around 5 p.m. Blanchard said he spoke with a woman who told him that Crooks had come after her with a knife during an argument.
The woman said her 2-year-old was between her and Crooks at the time. Blanchard said Crooks admitted to having the knife during the argument with the woman but denied the child was between them.Crooks said she was angry at the other woman because she made a comment to her about an abortion.
Crooks was released without bail Thursday.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.