Nearly 14,000 deer harvested in Vermont in 2012The Associated Press | January 17,2013MONTPELIER - The state Fish and Wildlife Department says Vermont deer hunters successfully harvested nearly 14,000 deer in 2012, a 14 percent increase over the previous year.
The totals reflect archery, youth, rifle and muzzleloader harvests.
Officials say last winter's relatively mild weather and shallow snow depths likely contributed to this fall's elevated deer harvest.
The low availability of traditional food sources such as apple orchards and beech and oak stands this past summer and fall also resulted in deer changing their movement patterns.
The department says one of the biggest increases was in archery, which rose 25 percent, to 3,384 deer.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.