Nearly 14,000 deer harvested in Vermont in 2012The Associated Press | January 17,2013MONTPELIER - The state Fish and Wildlife Department says Vermont deer hunters successfully harvested nearly 14,000 deer in 2012, a 14 percent increase over the previous year.
The totals reflect archery, youth, rifle and muzzleloader harvests.
Officials say last winter's relatively mild weather and shallow snow depths likely contributed to this fall's elevated deer harvest.
The low availability of traditional food sources such as apple orchards and beech and oak stands this past summer and fall also resulted in deer changing their movement patterns.
The department says one of the biggest increases was in archery, which rose 25 percent, to 3,384 deer.MORE IN This Just InBURLINGTON - Vermont prosecutors and defense attorneys are in talks to settle charges filed... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation