Police close to finding suspect who solicited 12-year-oldBy Christian Avard
Staff Writer | January 16,2013SPRINGFIELD — Springfield Police are close to identifying the suspect who allegedly solicited a 12-year-old girl on Monday near the Springfield Health Center on River Street.
According to Springfield Police Sergeant Robert Simmons, several youths and an off-duty state trooper recognized the man who approached the girl. The group went to police after the alert went out about the man.
Simmons said Springfield Police are familiar with the suspect and have dealt with him before. They are awaiting the parents’ permission to speak to the girl.
“Right now, the child doesn’t have much as far as what we need to charge someone for a crime or sexual act,” Simmons said. “She basically heard, ‘Come with me, there’s money in it’ and she didn’t know if it was money for her or money for him. But there was money involved, he mumbled something to her and she believed there was sexual connotation.”
The girl got away from the man and he followed her for a tenth of a mile. She then crossed River Street and the man walked away toward downtown Springfield.
The man is in his 20s, 5 feet 10 inches in height and thin with light brown or red frizzy hair. He was also wearing a dark blue coat and dark pants at the time, according to Simmons.
“The description was pretty much dead on. If the girl cannot articulate what he did, we will go out and interview the alleged suspect,” Simmons said.
Anyone with more information should call Simmons at 885-2113.MORE IN Southern VermontWHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A Massachusetts man accused of moving thousands of bags of heroin into... Full StoryBENNINGTON — Dozens of people attended the EXPOsion event to learn about the cultural events and... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.