Charlestown, N.H., woman lies about friend’s deathJanuary 12,2013BELLOWS FALLS — A Charlestown, N.H., woman was arrested for allegedly lying about a man’s death.
Luke Van Ranst, 28, of Charlestown, N.H., called Julene Alva, 28, the day he died Dec. 4.
According to Alva, Van Ranst called for a ride and when Alva and her friend arrived, they found him collapsed in a New Hampshire parking lot.
Alva said she did not know how he died but autopsy results later confirmed it was a drug and alcohol overdose.
Alva and her friend recanted their story and admitted that Van Ranst was part of a group that obtained, used and transported a significant quantity of drugs from Massachusetts into Vermont.
Alva will be arraigned in criminal court in Brattleboro on Feb. 26.MORE IN This Just InTRENTON, N.J. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Tibetans' ability to breathe and absorb oxygen at high altitude might have been inherited from their ancient ancestors, our new pals, the Denisovans, more dominant in their day than anybody can remember.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald Editor Rob Mitchell and staff writer Bryanna Allen discuss conflict at Open Door Mission, MSJ's new principal, teens carve marble in West Rutland.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,