Charlestown, N.H., woman lies about friend’s deathJanuary 12,2013BELLOWS FALLS — A Charlestown, N.H., woman was arrested for allegedly lying about a man’s death.
Luke Van Ranst, 28, of Charlestown, N.H., called Julene Alva, 28, the day he died Dec. 4.
According to Alva, Van Ranst called for a ride and when Alva and her friend arrived, they found him collapsed in a New Hampshire parking lot.
Alva said she did not know how he died but autopsy results later confirmed it was a drug and alcohol overdose.
Alva and her friend recanted their story and admitted that Van Ranst was part of a group that obtained, used and transported a significant quantity of drugs from Massachusetts into Vermont.
Alva will be arraigned in criminal court in Brattleboro on Feb. 26.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.