Police: drive-by didn't happenJanuary 12,2013MANCHESTER — Police said Friday that a man who claimed to be the victim of a drive-by shooting had actually shot himself.
Manchester Police said their investigation determined that Donald Ely-Gardner's wound was self-inflicted and that “his intentions were to injure himself.”
A friend brought Ely-Gardner, 27, to the Manchester Police Department on New Year's Eve with a chest wound that appeared to be caused by a small-caliber handgun, according to police. Police said Ely-Gardner told them he had been out getting cigarettes when he was shot by a passing driver on Route 7A.
Police said Ely-Gardner was in stable condition at Albany Medical Center and that they did not expect to release any additional information on the incident.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.