Police: drive-by didn't happenJanuary 12,2013MANCHESTER — Police said Friday that a man who claimed to be the victim of a drive-by shooting had actually shot himself.
Manchester Police said their investigation determined that Donald Ely-Gardner's wound was self-inflicted and that “his intentions were to injure himself.”
A friend brought Ely-Gardner, 27, to the Manchester Police Department on New Year's Eve with a chest wound that appeared to be caused by a small-caliber handgun, according to police. Police said Ely-Gardner told them he had been out getting cigarettes when he was shot by a passing driver on Route 7A.
Police said Ely-Gardner was in stable condition at Albany Medical Center and that they did not expect to release any additional information on the incident.MORE IN This Just InJust days before his crusade with cancer was lost, Sgt. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.