After the election, we should see less war and better social services with the savings. A smaller police state should also help. Why does America lock up a much higher percentage of its population than any other country?
We have the wealth to fund better education; job training, health care (without private insurance corporations); and social services at a world-class level. Remember Johnson’s War on Poverty? It was being won in Vermont, but it got lost in Vietnam.
Vermont was once a leader in the effort to break the generational cycle of poverty. Now “Corrections,” etc., consumes much of the budget. And Reach Up, for example, has changed from a functional family counseling and job readiness program to a paper tiger.
We need a minimum wage which is a livable wage, so our youth can work in Vermont.
Will all those Democrats in Montpelier renew efforts to lead families out of poverty?
WeybridgeMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.