After the election, we should see less war and better social services with the savings. A smaller police state should also help. Why does America lock up a much higher percentage of its population than any other country?
We have the wealth to fund better education; job training, health care (without private insurance corporations); and social services at a world-class level. Remember Johnson’s War on Poverty? It was being won in Vermont, but it got lost in Vietnam.
Vermont was once a leader in the effort to break the generational cycle of poverty. Now “Corrections,” etc., consumes much of the budget. And Reach Up, for example, has changed from a functional family counseling and job readiness program to a paper tiger.
We need a minimum wage which is a livable wage, so our youth can work in Vermont.
Will all those Democrats in Montpelier renew efforts to lead families out of poverty?
WeybridgeMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.