Man accused of hosting underage drinking partyJanuary 10,2013Man denies hosting drinking party
BENNINGTON — A North Bennington man is facing a misdemeanor charge after police said there were eight people younger than 21 drinking at his home in November.
Matthew J. Wilkinson, 21, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court on Monday to a charge of enabling minors to drink alcohol. He was released without bail.
In an affidavit, Trooper Lewis Hatch, of the Vermont State Police, said police raided a party at a home on Lake Paran Road on Nov. 24 shortly after midnight.
After an investigation, police identified eight people who were younger than 21 but whose blood alcohol content indicated they had been drinking.
Hatch said Wilkinson, who lived at the home, told police he had hosted the party and was responsible for everyone there.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.