Mary MadkourJanuary 10,2013
Mary MadkourMary Madkour
BENNINGTON — Mary Elaine (Bliss) McGarey Madkour, 85, died Monday, Jan. 7, 2013, at Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, following a long illness.
She was born April 12, 1927, the daughter of Edith (Tuscany) and Robert P. Bliss Sr., in Swanton, where she graduated from high school.
She married Walter A. McGarey in 1950 and they had five children, Pamela, Patricia, David, Michael and Sarah. David died shortly after birth and Mr. McGarey died in 1964.
In December 1966, she married Joseph L. Madkour and they had a daughter, Carrie. Mr. Madkour died in 2000.
In earlier years, Mrs. Madkour worked as a court recorder at the District and Superior courthouses in Bennington and later as a realtor at Hoisington Realty Inc.
She served three terms in the Vermont State Legislature from 1992 until 1997 and was a board member for Vermont Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired, Vermont affiliate of American Diabetes Association and Bennington Museum.
She was a deacon of Second Congregational Church, Gray Lady at Putnam Memorial Hospital/Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, chairman of the American Red Cross Bloodmobile canteen, charter member of “The Double SS” Home Dem group, and belonged to Bennington Garden Club and Plain Dirt Gardeners.
In Red Oak, Iowa, Mrs. Madkour was named Chamber of Commerce Homemaker of the Year in 1961.
Survivors include five children, Pamela Murphy of Las Vegas, Nev., Patricia Klein of Oneonta, N.Y., Michael McGarey of Bennington, Sarah Bush of Fly Creek, N.Y., and Carrie Major of Rutland; six grandchildren; several nieces, nephews and cousins.
She was also predeceased by two siblings, Barbara Counos and Robert Bliss Jr.
Services will be at a later date at Second Congregational Church in Bennington.
Memorial contributions may be made to American Diabetes Association, Vermont Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired or Vermont Chapter-Alzheimer’s Association, in care of Mahar & Son Funeral Home, 628 Main St., Bennington, VT 05201.
Guest book condolences may be made at www.maharandsonfuneralhome.net.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.