MONTPELIER — A coalition of 32 environmental groups, businesses and other organizations are calling for improved protection of Vermont’s rivers and lakes, including Lake Champlain and the Connecticut River.
Among the biggest threats seen by the groups is an overload of nutrients, including phosphorus flowing into the state’s rivers from both farms and yards. The groups say incidents like algae blooms in Lake Champlain’s Missisquoi Bay harm the state’s tourism economy.
Lori Fisher of the Lake Champlain Committee says the state’s public water supply infrastructure alone needs nearly $400 million in upgrades in the next 20 years.
Chris Kilian of the Conservation Law Foundation says the state needs to focus on tougher enforcement of its environmental laws.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — U.S. Sen. Full StoryAUGUSTA, Maine — FairPoint worker Jeff Dorn has already told his children that Christmas is going... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.