A jury was selected in U.S. District Court in Burlington on Tuesday to hear the first of a dozen new priest misconduct lawsuits against Vermont’s Catholic Church.
Lawyers are scheduled to offer opening statements at 10 a.m. today in a case in which a former Rutlander who now lives in California says he was 13 years old when the former Rev. Edward Paquette — the subject of 25 previous lawsuits and three past jury verdicts — sexually abused him in 1974.
Judge William Sessions III will preside over a jury of nine men and three women in a trial scheduled for the next week and a half. It comes three years after the state’s largest religious denomination paid more than $20 million to settle almost 30 other priest misconduct lawsuits.
Staff reportMORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.