NH man charged with attempted assault at motelStaff Report | January 05,2013ROCKINGHAM — A 55-year-old New Hampshire man was arrested Friday in Claremont, N.H., on a Vermont warrant stemming from an incident at a Rockingham motel last month.
Vermont State Police said John Cotter of Charlestown, N.H., was arrested in connection with the Dec. 22 incident at the Rodeway Inn in Rockingham. Police said Cotter, armed with a large pipe, attempted to kick down the door of a motel room occupied by two people, ages 30 and 28, and their three young children, a 6-month-old, a 1-year-old and a 6-year-old.
Police said surveillance video showed a man, quickly identified as Cotter, armed with the pipe. Another man was with him and efforts are still under way to identify him.
Police said Cotter will face charges of attempted burglary of an occupied dwelling, unlawful mischief and numerous counts of simple assault.MORE IN This Just InDearest farm, with your well-worked fields full of food, I love you. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.