Russell will build GMP energy siteJanuary 03,2013Russell will build
GMP energy site
Russell Construction Services will oversee the building of Green Mountain Power’s Energy Innovation Center in Rutland.
The utility announced Wednesday that Russell was chosen from almost a dozen bidding contractors.
The Rutland-based company will work with NBF Architects and GMP officials, developing a formal construction timeline and managing the budget, the subcontractor bid process and budget, safety and regulatory compliance at the site, and all day-to-day construction work.
The EIC, which is going in the former Eastman’s site on Merchants Row, will include office space, displays and interactive educational opportunities. It will include a heat-pump system and solar generation, and will be accessible for tours.
Vermont Energy Investment Corp. and NeighborWorks of Western Vermont will co-locate some staff with GMP in the new facility.
Russell will begin working on the pre-construction planning process with NBF immediately, with a target date of March 1 to begin construction.
Mold and asbestos mitigation in the building is nearly complete. GMP expects to move into the new facility by Oct. 31.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.