Eleanor W. MurphyJanuary 03,2013
Eleanor W. MurphyEleanor W. Murphy
BENNINGTON ó Eleanor Wilcox Murphy, lifelong resident of Bennington, VT, passed away peacefully in West Chester, PA, on Wednesday, January 2, 2013, at the age of 91.
Eleanor was born in North Adams, MA, on May 3, 1921, and lived her early years in Pownal, VT.
Eleanor graduated from Bennington High School in 1939, and Middlebury College in 1943. She taught Home Economics in Arlington, VT, and went on to work briefly at Bennington College until starting a family and becoming a full-time homemaker.
Eleanor was a very involved member of the Bennington community, participating in numerous organizations including the American Red Cross as a Blood Drive volunteer. She served as a ďGray LadyĒ for 25 years at the Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, and was a devoted member of St. Peterís Episcopal Church.
Eleanorís favorite pastimes included reading, baking, knitting and needlepoint, working in the yard and watching the Boston Red Sox. She especially enjoyed being with her family.
Eleanor is predeceased by her husband of nearly 65 years, Arthur B. Murphy of Bennington, and her oldest daughter, Janice Murphy. Eleanor is survived by her sister, Ann Wilcox Wentink of Carlsbad, CA, son Kevin and daughter-in-law Donna Murphy of Tarpon Springs, FL, daughter Candace and son-in-law Charles Heverly of Kennett Square, PA, and two grandchildren, Lucas Heverly of West Chester, PA, and Clara Heverly, a senior at Penn State University in State College, PA.
In keeping with Eleanorís wishes, there will be a memorial service at the time of interment in Park Lawn Cemetery in the late spring or early summer.
Contributions may be made to St. Peterís Episcopal Church Memorial Fund, c/o Hanson-Walbridge Funeral Home, 213 West Main Street, Bennington, VT 05201.
To send the family personal email condolences, please visit www.sheafuneralhomes.com.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.