I am writing to speak up for amputees and persons with chronic limb impairment. Several states have taken the extreme steps of trying to modify Medicaid benefits so that the state would deny access to artificial limbs. I am asking you to keep this from happening in our state.
Opposing cuts to O&P benefits is an appeal to both fairness and fiscal responsibility. Studies (e.g. “Prosthetic and Orthotic Adult Benefit,” Colorado Department of Health Care Policy) have concluded that providing this essential health benefit saves money by helping patients avoid costly co-morbid medical conditions. O&P care permits patients to return to gainful employment and ends their dependency on federal/state assistance programs.
I know the economy is bad and states face serious budgetary crises. I just didn’t know that things are so bad that states would take artificial limbs from amputees.
Thank you for your consideration and any help you can provide to assure that this never happens in our state.
MontpelierMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.