Woman in custody
for subway fatality
NEW YORK — A woman is in custody in the death of a man who was shoved in front of a speeding subway train, and she “made statements implicating herself,” New York City police said Saturday.
Detectives questioned her but aren’t releasing the 31-year-old suspect’s name until she is formally charged, NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said in a brief statement. Among other things, investigators were arranging for witnesses to positively identify the woman in custody as the attacker, police said.
Sunando Sen, a 46-year-old Queens resident who was born in India and ran a printing shop, died Thursday night when a woman who had been muttering to herself on a train platform in Queens suddenly knocked him on the tracks as a train entered the station.
The woman fled after the attack. Police released security camera video showing her running from the station.
The attack was the second time this month that someone was pushed to their death in a New York City subway station. A homeless man was arrested in early December and accused of shoving a man in front of a train in Times Square. He is awaiting trial, and claimed he acted in self-defense.
Lawyer seeks suit
A lawyer who’s asking to sue Connecticut for $100 million on behalf of a 6-year-old Newtown school shooting survivor who heard violence over the school’s intercom system says the potential claim is about improving school security, not money.
“It’s about living in a world that’s safe,” New Haven attorney Irving Pinsky told The Associated Press on Saturday. “The answer is about protecting the kids.”
Pinsky asked this week to sue the state, which has immunity against most lawsuits unless it gives a party permission to go forward with a claim.
Pinksy’s client, whom he calls “Jill Doe” in the claim, sustained “emotional and psychological trauma and injury” on Dec. 14 after gunman Adam Lanza forced his way into Sandy Hook Elementary School and gunned down 20 children and six adults inside in one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history.
The child heard “conversations, gunfire and screaming” over Sandy Hook’s intercom after someone in the office apparently switched on the system, according to the claim. Pinsky said Saturday he didn’t know whether his client saw anyone die.
The state Board of Education, Department of Education and state education commissioner failed to protect the child “from foreseeable harm,” including by failing to provide a safe school setting, the filing said.
It also said the parties failed to review and carefully scrutinize annual strategic school profile reports from the local school district and Sandy Hook Elementary as well as “other submissions with respect to student safety and emergency response planning and protocol.”
It says the parties also failed to require the school and local Board of Education to formulate and implement an effective student safety emergency response plan.
Pinsky said Saturday he didn’t want to reveal more about the 6-year-old or details about her experience during the shooting because of privacy concerns.
The attorney said he hasn’t gotten a reply from the state yet. The Hartford Courant first reported the filing.
—The Associated PressMORE IN Wire News
GENEVA — Doctors Without Borders called Wednesday for an independent fact-finding... Full Story
PORTLAND, Maine — American eels will not be listed under the Endangered Species Act,... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed