Shumlin weighs in on guns
Gov. Peter Shumlin says the rest of the country should look to Vermont on how to manage firearms, but he’ll leave it to Congress to debate access to military-style assault weapons.
Shumlin says Vermont has a strong hunting culture and strong support for the right to own and use firearms. But he told The Burlington Free Press, “People don’t use machines of war to shoot whitetail deer.”
The issue of access to assault weapons has come to the fore following several recent mass shootings, including the massacre of elementary school students and staff in Newtown, Conn., Dec. 14.
The National Rifle Association — which opposes most firearms regulations — has supported Shumlin, and contributed to his re-election campaign this year.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — About 200 striking FairPoint workers and their supporters rallied at the Vermont... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.