WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A 51-year-old Vermont woman was ordered held without bail Thursday on a charge of second-degree murder in a Christmas night shooting of a 43-year-old man.
Anne-Marie Whiteway, of Bradford, is charged in the death of Dale Rock, who died of an apparent gunshot wound to the head at his home in the neighboring town of Newbury. She was arraigned Thursday in criminal court in White River Junction.
Police received a call shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday that multiple shots had been fired at Rock’s home and that a suspect had fled the scene in a car.
Thirty-three-year-old Stephanie Plante, who described herself as Rock’s girlfriend, told the Valley News that she witnessed the shooting. She said Whiteway arrived at Rock’s one-room structure and was acting erratically before the shooting.MORE IN Vermont News(Editor’s note: This is the final part of an Associated Press series of profiles on candidates... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.