Daniel L. RooneyDecember 27,2012
Daniel L. RooneyDaniel L. Rooney
CASTLETON ó Daniel L. Rooney, 79, died Monday, Dec. 24, 2012, at his residence.
He was born Feb. 21, 1933, in Castleton, the son of Daniel and Alice (Harney) Rooney.
He graduated from Fair Haven High School in 1951.
Mr. Rooney served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.
He was employed as a heavy equipment mechanic for several Caterpillar dealerships in Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Nevada.
He was a past commander of Crippen-Fellows American Legion Post 50 in Castleton.
Mr. Rooney enjoyed building stock cars, NASCAR, the Pittsburgh Steelers and Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
Survivors include his wife, Frances (Bassett) Rooney of Castleton, whom he married May 29, 1969; a son, Patrick Rooney of Brookville, Pa.; a stepdaughter ,Shelley Getz of Denver, Pa., and a stepson, Richard Mallory of Columbia Falls, Mont.; a sister, Mary Sweeney of Fair Haven; three granddaughters, several nieces and nephews.
He was predeceased by two siblings, Patricia Roberts and John Rooney.
The memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 29, at Our Lady of Seven Dolors Church in Fair Haven.
Burial will be at a later date in Hillside Cemetery in Castleton.
There will be no calling hours.
Memorial contributions may be made to Rutland Area Visiting Nurse Association & Hospice, in care of Rutland Health Foundation, 433 West St., Rutland, VT 05701; or Rutland County Humane Society Inc., 765 Stevens Road, Pittsford, VT 05763.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Durfee Funeral Home.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.