Truck jack-knifes on 22ADecember 18,2012BENSON — Police said icy roads contributed to a tractor-trailer jack-knifing on Route 22A early Monday morning.
Vermont State Police said Jack Wallace, 65, of Warnerville, N.Y., was driving a 2012 Freightliner loaded with “grocery goods” north at around 4 a.m. when he hit a patch of ice near Perch Pond Road and skidded off the road and into a ditch, colliding with several small trees in the process.
The trailer remained partially in the northbound lane. Traffic was temporarily diverted around the crash site.
Police said Wallace suffered minor scrapes and was taken to Rutland Regional Medical Center, where whe was treated and released. The truck sustained “significant overall damage,” according to police.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!