Vt. officials urge adults to get vaccinatedThe Associated Press | December 13,2012BURLINGTON — Vermont health officials are urging adults to get a new vaccine for whooping cough as the state deals with an outbreak of the disease.
More than 500 people have been affected by whooping cough or pertussis this year. That’s 10 times the amount reported by the end of 2011.
More than 20 babies younger than a year have had the disease and six infants have had to be hospitalized.
The Health Department is recommending that anyone over 19 get a Tdap vaccine, which is a booster against tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis, to help prevent the spread of the disease.
The Health Department will be holding free vaccination clinics next Wednesday at its 12 local district offices around the state for Vermonters who can’t get to their doctor for a shot.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Cesare Borgia stages Ballet of Chestnuts to honor his father, Pope Alexander VI, in 1922, Mussolini becomes Italy's prime minister, in 1953, Ike signs NSA directive 162/2, in 1961, Soviets detonate 'Tsar Bomba,' the biggest bang.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.