MONTPELIER — Peace Corps officials say Vermont is continuing with its ranking as the top state for the per capita production of Peace Corps volunteers.
Officials announced the rankings Wednesday.
Only the District of Columbia has a higher ranking in the production of volunteers.
The same rankings found that New Hampshire ranked fourth and Maine eighth.
The Peace Corps’ Northeast Regional office manager Brian Melman says the region has a culture of involvement and community engagement.
Since the Peace Corp was created more than 50 years ago, 1,453 Vermonters have served as volunteers across the country.
The Peace Corps currently operates in 139 countries across the world with volunteers working in development programs as varied as HIV-AIDS education to information technology.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!