MONTPELIER — Peace Corps officials say Vermont is continuing with its ranking as the top state for the per capita production of Peace Corps volunteers.
Officials announced the rankings Wednesday.
Only the District of Columbia has a higher ranking in the production of volunteers.
The same rankings found that New Hampshire ranked fourth and Maine eighth.
The Peace Corps’ Northeast Regional office manager Brian Melman says the region has a culture of involvement and community engagement.
Since the Peace Corp was created more than 50 years ago, 1,453 Vermonters have served as volunteers across the country.
The Peace Corps currently operates in 139 countries across the world with volunteers working in development programs as varied as HIV-AIDS education to information technology.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.