Proctor E. HallDecember 12,2012Proctor E. Hall
RAPID CITY, S.D. — Proctor Eugene “Rock” Hall, 79, died Sunday, Nov. 25, 2012, at the Fort Meade Veterans Center in Sturgis.
He was born in Ludlow, Vt., the son of Ethelyn (Wheeler) and Israel Balch Hall.
He graduated in 1952 from Black River High School in Ludlow where he was active in sports and music and used to ski on Okemo Mountain, before it became a ski resort.
After an Air Force career, Mr. Hall married and raised his family in South Dakota.
He was an avid hunter and fisherman and enjoyed the woods of Plymouth, Vt.
Survivors include his wife, Sharon, daughters Penny Darling and Jennifer Hall, and son Tom Hall, all of Rapid City; five grandchildren; a brother, Jay Hall of Vero Beach, Fla.; a sister, Pat Brown of Springfield, Vt.; many nieces and nephews.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.