Woman charged with perjury in domestic assault caseStaff Report | December 11,2012BENNINGTON — A Harwood Hill woman is facing a felony charge of perjury after an investigator with the Bennington County State's Attorney Office said she lied during a deposition about a man she had accused of domestic assault.
Heidi E. Gardner, 41, of Bennington, was arraigned in Bennington criminal court on Monday on a felony count of perjury and a misdemeanor count of giving false information to police in order to implicate another person. Gardner pleaded innocent to the charges.
In an affidavit, Investigator Justin Niles said he was following up on the arrest of Floyd Amidon, 54, for domestic assault when he was notified on Oct. 31 that Gardner may have committed perjury during a deposition. In the deposition, taken on Oct. 29, Gardner said she had ended a relationship with Amidon on Aug. 17 and said that he had not been violent with her that day. She also denied telling a police dispatcher that Amidon choked her and prevented her from getting to the phone.
Niles said the recorded call to the Bennington police dispatcher indicated Gardner had reported an assault on Aug. 17 and told Niles a similar story on Aug. 30.
The affidavit said Amidon and Gardner discussed getting married and buying a home together during phone calls, which were recorded, made by Amidon from prison to Gardner between Oct. 10 and 27.
Gardner was released without bail on Monday but was ordered not to have contact with Amidon.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.